Sunday, May 1, 2011

Calvin turns 8

For Calvin's birthday this year we decided to throw him a big surprise party. Well, big for us. I think their were only six extra kids. We chose to do a Lego Star Wars theme because that is his all time favorite thing and has been for years. I'm not exaggerating when I saw he could easily spend the entire day doing nothing but building and playing with his Legos.



The morning of his party, Calvin was really disappointed because more than anything he had wanted to have a friend over to play but we had told him that everyone was busy. Around noon Adam took Calvin out for lunch while we decorated at home and all the guests arrived. All the kids hid around the room and then when Calvin came in, they jumped out and shocked him speechless. The look on Calvin's face is something I will never forget. It started as utter bewilderment, then morphed into complete joy.


To start the party off Adam, the all-knowing Jedi instructor, gathered all the kids around. He told them that their goal by the end of the party was to advance from Padawan learners to Jedi knights. I'm still not sure what a Padawan is, but all the kids knew. They advanced by successfully completing a series of tasks. The first thing they had to do was learn to balance a balloon on their light sabers (pool noodles magically transformed with a little shiny duct tape).The sabers ended up being the favorite of the party. After that we separated the kids into teams and had a race to see who could free Han Solo from a frozen demise the quickest (Lego mini figs frozen into blocks of ice which they thawed by dumping warm water onto them). Next the kids showed their speed and skills with their light sabers by destroying as many bubbles from the bubble machine as they could. That lasted for only a little while before they realized that it is more fun to test the sabers out on Adam. Adam held his own for a while but was eventually overwhelmed by the numbers of the pack and beaten mercilessly. At that point we decided to directed that energy toward hamming on the pinata instead. Adam and I had attempted to make a Death Star pinata but it looked so bad that we ended up calling it an asteroid instead!. After successfully destroying the asteroid it was time for cake and presents.


It's always my goal every year to make and decorate a cake for my kids birthday but sadly I am lacking greatly in my creative culinary skills so I'm just happy if they can at least recognize what the cake is supposed to be.


The party came together well and everyone had a good time but the absolutely best part for me was when Calvin turned to me in the middle of the chaos and very sincerely said, "Thanks Mom. This is the best party ever!"


Calvin loved his party but I think he might of been even more excited that he was finally able to watch a Star Wars movie. He has been dying to see them (the originals) but we told him that because they are PG, he had to wait until he turned eight. That night, when we were all cuddled up on the couch, ready to watch the movie, he turned to us and said, "I'm so excited that I'm quivering all over!" I'm now posting this a month later and he still talks about those movies almost daily.
Adam did such a great job on creating the invitations for the party that I had to include them.


Calvin's expression in this picture! He was soooo happy with his cake. At the end all the kids received an official certificate of their advancement to a Jedi Knight

0 comments: